Okay, todays reading establishes the beginning of Israel. God calls Abram to follow him, and I’d like to point out that you’re never too old to start following God (12:4) Abram was God’s utmost chosen and pleased God. He wasn’t perfect though. He messed up a lot, just like we do. We don’t have to be perfect, we just have to be willing to adjust our behavior. Abram had been told directly by God that he was going to be blessed, yet he feared for his life enough when he went to Egypt that he lied to them about Sarai. He knew that God was going to give him heirs, yet he tried to manipulate the situation to make it happen instead of waiting for God to do his thing and ended up causing a conflict that we still deal with today all these centuries later. Yet each time Abram submits to God’s plan for his life, he is again blessed by him. We see the same with Hagar. She was going to run away, but God spoke to her. He would not accept her running away but promised her that if she submitted to Sarai that he would bless her. That is the key. Whenever we submit to God’s plan, no matter how painful it may seem at the moment, we gain amazing blessings.
This passage shows us a lot about what we are dealing with in the world now. Ishmael from his birth was meant to cause adversity. In 16:12 it says “He (Ishmael) shall be a wild man; his hand shall be against every man and every man’s hand against him. And he shall dwell in the presence of all his bretheren.” The wild man part does not refer to what we think of as a wild man. The literal words are “wild donkey of a man”, which was a highly prized animal. The arab society has brought us amazing things from it’s cultures and their benefits are highly prized. Even now, their oil is highly prized. However, he would also be against everyone and they against him. He shall live among his bretheren as well. This is very much what we see today. How amazing is it that the world fails to see the truth in scriptures.
Okay now onto the reading in Matthew. This is one of the most quoted sections of the New Testament I think. Though not many could tell you that it’s from Matthew chapter 5. lol If you haven’t taken the Lifeway study “The Mind Of Christ” you should. It gives an amazing process of working through the concepts spoken of here in the beatitudes and in a few other places. I am not going to go on and on about what our roles are for each of these, but I am going to give you a definition for the terms Jesus uses. I think we often misunderstand them. In the Mind Of Christ, T.W. Hunt points out that each of these have not only an opposite but they have a perversion. We have to be careful not only to emulate these things but to not allow our sin nature to pervert them.
1.Poor In Spirit: this is not about being poor, it’s about recognizing that you need God, humility, recognizing that you are lower than God. We are to rely on God. This can be perverted into not doing anything, this is not what Christ is calling us to.
2.Those who mourn: this is about brokenness. It isn’t just referring to people who have lost loved ones. We can mourn over many things. This is about feeling true heartfelt grief over things that are bad/hurtful/evil in the world. This can be perverted by reducing us to sobbing unconsolable messes with no hope. We need to turn to God for comfort and direction in how to ease those things. For instance, we grieve over hearing about the children all over the world who never receive anything to play with or socks or anything, so we turn to God for guidance and he leads people to do things like the Christmas shoeboxes.
3.Meek: this one is most misunderstood I think. It isn’t about being weak. Meekness is about submission, not weakness. It is about being accepting of one’s circumstances and not rebelling because of them. When I was a teenager, I would often get told that I couldn’t do something I wanted to do. All this brought me was more punishment. If I submitted to my parent’s decisions and trusted that they knew best, I gained a lot more. It is the same with God. If we see what is happening in our lives as being under his control and for a reason, we can come through it in a better state than if we rebel.
4.Hungry & Thirsty for righteousness: this is about having a longing to be close to God. We are thankful to him, we want to read his word, we want to pray. This can be perverted into doing nothing but that, but it is my belief that if you truly are hungering for God’s will that he will shove you out to do his work.
5.Merciful: this is about dealing with others in a gracious, loving and compassionate manner. It isn’t about letting someone hurt you over and over again, it is about forgiveness. We have been forgiven, and we should forgive others, but that does not mean that they do not have to face the consequences of their actions.
6.Pure in Heart: this is about having a desire to be right with God which adjusts your behavior to follow him more. This can be perverted by making you judgmental. This is about you, not others. Being pure in heart means that you truly are focused on yourself and what you can do to be in the will of God. If you are, your behavior will change.
7.Peacemakers: This does not mean that you are a pacifist. You don’t sit and allow someone to beat another up, or yourself up. This is about being about restoring relationships and avoiding conflict. You seek harmony ad unity. Most conflict can be avoided by both parties being open to compromise. God calls us to be the instruments of that compromise.
8.Persecuted: this is about experiencing any abuse of any kind because of a faith in Christ. This could be emotional, physical, or mental and it could be because of your behavior being in line with God’s will. This can be perverted by someone putting themselves willingly into dangerous situations without God’s leading. We need to remember that Jesus protected himself until he was told it was time. Then he submitted himself to the things that he went through. Nothing we go through will ever be as bad as what Christ went through for us. We can have joy in anything happening to us because it allows us to identify with Christ and trust that God will bring us through it.
Since Pastor Wayne did such a good job of talking about verses 13-16 this week, I am not even gonna touch it. If any of you missed it, let me know you’d like a copy.
Tomorrow’s reading is Genesis 17-19 and Matthew 5:17-48.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Sis,
ReplyDeleteDo not worry about posting first thing in the morning... My neice and nephew take priority over posting....
I think I will just post my comments the morning after... that way I can "sleep on it" which is better for me anyway... I just don't want you to think I'm not out here with you... so know I'll be responding the next morning EST.
Love Ya!
Joy
When Abram chose to lie for what he believed was his survival and Sarai submitted to his request to lie, as well as, become the Pharoah's wife to "save" Abram, God still protected Abram.... and created the circumstances that removed Abram and Sarai from that situation with great wealth.... The Lord works in mysterious ways... Abram in turn used the wealth the Lord had provided for the Lord's use and glorification. Once again, the Lord worked in a mysterious way.
ReplyDeleteJeannie I think you did excellant explanations of the definitions of the terms used in the Beautitudes. I believe many struggle with the terms and how to use them daily. At times, I wonder if people have become too passive because they think that that is what the Lord wants. "Turn the other cheek" in most situations.... I know that is something that I struggle with - finding the balance and not being certain when to speak up and when to be silent,
when to act and when to be still... that is why learning and listening to what God wants you to do is vital. I know you are on a search from a direction from God right now... I think there are far more people on that path then there usually are due to the increased turmoil in this world and the increasing participation and deteriotion of our country. I feel the same way as you. When it gets frustrating, remember all the things you are actively doing for the Lord each day and trust He will show you when His time is right to show you. You are listening. You are seeking. You are waiting on the Lord and tho you might not think you are doing anything, you are gathering knowledge and strength. While you are doing that you are raising two awesome children and the Lord is providing you with the resources to do that. And we all know that raising those two children is something He wants you to do, and that very well be right where He wants you right now... For the time will pass and that task will be completed and that opportunity will be gone.
You are an awesome sister and I am blessed to have you! lol I know you're out here with me, I actually got Dean to school and the blog done before Annabelle woke up really...she was standing here the last few minutes but not too bad. lol
ReplyDeleteI don't think that the Lord really worked in a "mysterious" way. I also don't think he intended for Abram to lie. He would have protected Abram regardless because he'd already made a promise to him and he always keeps his promises. What I see him doing is bringing good even from Abram's sin. Yet, there will still consequences for his lie.
I agree that many have become passive by using Jesus as an excuse and they take many of his statements out of context. Jesus submitted to God's will and suffered and died for us, but he also turned over the moneychangers in the temple. Just as the Pharisees and Sadducees had twisted the law in Jesus' time, we twist it now to get what we want. Our Pastor Rich has preached a few times on not focusing on "what can I get away with and still be a christian" and instead focus on spending time and having a relationship with him.
And thank you for the encouragement sis. You're right, it's just very difficult to feel that there is something I am supposed to be doing and be okay with the fact that it may not be time to do it yet. Patience is a virtue I am still working on! lol